The University of Kansas and Phillip Slater have joined forces to create a University Certificate in Spare Parts Inventory Management.
This ten-week online course will help participants to develop the expertise, skills, policies, and systems to minimize their spare parts investment and maximize their spare parts availability. Based upon instructor Phillip Slater’s book, Spare Parts Inventory Management: A Complete Guide to Sparesology, this course is designed for managers, storeroom personnel, procurement team members, planners, and maintenance personnel.
This is the first time that a recognized tertiary institution has offered a qualification that focuses specifically on spare parts inventory.
The program commences in September 2018.
Certificate in Spare Parts Inventory Management: Course Objectives
At the conclusion of this course it is expected that participants will be able to:
- Apply critical thinking to identify, analyze, and solve spare parts inventory management problems.
- Develop and implement a spare parts management system appropriate to an organization’s resources and needs.
- Identify and differentiate critical spare parts and determine appropriate actions for stocking and supply.
- Evaluate existing and planned spare parts holding levels and determine if they are appropriate based on demand and supply constraints.
- Determine the suitability and application of bar coding systems as a tool for spare parts management.
- Develop and critique sparing plans for both First-time-buy (capital purchases) and Last-time-buy.
- Plan for and identify opportunities for minimizing spare parts obsolescence.
Certificate in Spare Parts Inventory Management: Highlights
- The course is made up of 10 modules and presented over 10 weeks
- Each week there is a live on-line session with the course instructor, Phillip Slater
- Each module consists of a combination of reading, video, and exercises
- There is a workbook to guide you through each module and that includes all of the exercises
- Each module includes a multi-choice online quiz to test your know-how and learning
Award of Certificate in Spare Parts Inventory Management
Successfully completing this course will result in the awarding of a Certificate in Spare Parts Inventory Management from the University of Kansas.
Please note that this course is graded – you do not get a certificate just for turning up!
Continuing Professional Development and Continuing Education Units
This professional development course results in 2.1 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
For professional organizations that use Continuing Professional Development (CPD), and count hours, the course could provide up to 40 CPD hours. Organizations to which this could apply include:
- The Chartered Institute for Procurement and Supply (CIPS)
- Australasian Supply Chain Institute (ASCI)
- Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport (CILT)
- American Production and Inventory Control Society (APICS)
- Institute of Supply Management (ISM)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Association of Asset Management Professionals (AMP)
- Asset Management Council (AMC)
Please check with the relevant organization.
Federal employee Discount
US federal employees (government and military) qualify for a 10% discount. See the relevant KU page for details.
About the University of Kansas
KU is a major public research and teaching institution of 28,447 students and 2,600 faculty on six campuses. A member of the prestigious Association of American Universities since 1909, KU consistently earns high rankings for its academic programs. The university’s diverse elements are united by their mission to educate leaders, build healthy communities, and make discoveries that change the world.
About Phillip Slater
Phillip Slater is a Spare Parts Management and MRO Specialist. With more than 30 years experience and a career-long focus on improving business performance. Phillip has worked in 35 countries, and in a wide range of industries. Phillip is the Founder of the online training business, SparePartsKnowHow.com, and the author of 9 books, including Spare Parts Inventory Management, Smart Inventory Solutions, and The Optimization Trap.