Course code: SP03
Delivery method: Instructor-led, online
When does this course start?
This course is only available as an in-house company program.
Contact us to discuss your needs.
The self-paced Basics of Storeroom Management Training Course is for people whose main focus is storeroom management.
The training course provides a general understanding of spare parts inventory management and teaches you how to determine the most appropriate stock holding level. Based on this foundation, the course then focusses on both the physical and procedural aspects of storeroom management.
This course consists of 4 learning modules.
- Why maintenance spare parts inventory is different from other types of inventory
- 5 common supply chain techniques that should not be used with maintenance spare parts inventory
- How maintenance, spare parts management, and procurement fit into the big picture
- The 5 key financial principles for spare parts management.
- How to identify and interpret the key financial reports associated with spare parts management
- How to decide whether or not to stock an item in inventory
- How to select spare parts for new capital equipment (First-Time-Buy)
- How to identify and manage critical spare parts
- How to determine the most appropriate re-order point (ROP)
- How to determine the most appropriate re-order quantity (ROQ)
- The issues and potential responses for managing slow moving inventory
- The difference between vendor-led and owner-led obsolescence and the implications of each
- How to develop an End-Of-Life (EOL) plan and calculate Last-Time-Buy requirements
- Managing spare parts disposal and how to pro-actively manage spare parts obsolescence and disposal
- The 7 different disposal options and the benefits of each
- The pros and cons of storeroom location decisions
- The physical issues of storeroom management, including layout, storage issues, labelling, and work flow
- Understand how to manage rotable and repairable spares
- The issues in developing a spare parts identification system
- The pros and cons of spare parts standardization
- How to improve results with high quality materials data
- The difference between Accounting Accuracy and Storeroom Accuracy and why it matters
- The factors that most directly affect spare parts inventory accuracy
- Planning for the three phases for conducting successful stock takes
- The actions required to achieve a 100% accurate inventory
- The practical application of bar codes
Introduction to Spare Parts Inventory Management (INT1)
Lesson 1: Introduction
Lesson 2: Collaboration
Lesson 3: Financial Considerations
Lesson 4: Key Consideration for Managing Your Inventory
Critical Parts and Stock Level Decision Making (SDM1)
Lesson 1: Introduction
Lesson 2: Critical Spare Parts
Lesson 3: Deciding What to Stock
Lesson 4: Deciding How Many to Stock
This module also includes decision-making exercises to test your know-how.
The Storeroom: Physical Management (SRM1)
Lesson 1: Introduction to Storeroom Management
Lesson 2: Physical Storeroom Management
Lesson 3: Obsolescence and Disposal
The Storeroom: Procedural Management (SRM2)
Lesson 1: The Procedural Storeroom
Lesson 2: Spare Parts Identification and Cataloging
Lesson 3: Managing Inventory Accuracy
Lesson 4: Bar Coding
Please note that all course content is provided in the course modules online.
Who Is It For?
The Basics of Storeroom Management Training course is designed for those who work in or supervise the storeroom/warehouse activity. This includes: storeroom, spare parts management, supply chain, procurement, maintenance, planning, and finance.
You have 3 months access to the course content.
During the course we conduct 4 x 90 minute online sessions to review each module.
The spacing of these sessions can be varied to suit your needs.
Coaching and Tutorial Support
Online course-related coaching and tutorial support is provided via our exclusive online coaching function.
Each module includes an online quiz. Successfully completing all four of the online quizzes leads to the award of our Basics of Storeroom Management Course certificate. We set the ‘pass’ level for these quizzes at 80%.
Please note that the course The Basics of Storeroom Management course certificate will be forwarded to your registered email address within 7 days of course completion.
Investment in this instructor-led program on will be quoted on application.
The course includes the course access, instruction, and our policy templates.
Payment for this program is via invoice only.